It is commonly believed that AI will empower the employees who are willing to learn – others will find it hard to keep their jobs. But there’s an even bigger opportunity for the subject matter experts. They will not only learn the changes being brought about by AI but permanently enrich their jobs by becoming the trainers and administrators of the AI apps.
Firstly, let us understand why a human being – no matter whether she is a subject matter expert or not, is needed to train the modern AI systems.
Humans will be instrumental in building what is known as human-in-the-loop systems.
Supervised ML, curated (labeled) data sets used by ML experts to train algorithms by adjusting parameters to make accurate predictions for incoming data.
Active Learning, the data is taken, trained, tuned, tested, and more data is fed back into the algorithm to make it smarter, more confident, and more accurate. This approach–especially feeding data back into a classifier, is called active Learning.
It is obvious that we need a human being where the confidence level in the algorithm is low due to insufficient training data, or the risk associated with an inaccurate inference is very high. But why would we need a subject matter expert? They are not just another “human” augmenting the algorithm’s artificial intelligence.
Subject matter experts as trainers and administrators of AI
- Determining the Business Problem an AI solution can solve. For example, let’s say an insurance company wants to become more competitive. A high-level employee at the company, who has been in the industry for more than 20 years, may know from experience that clients often complain about the time it takes to process claims.
- Determining how AI can solve that business problem. For example, a marketer might tell a data scientist to make sure the model they build can predict the best price to bid for ad space on Google Ad Network without realizing that such an application is nascent in practice and technically challenging. A data scientist would be able to explain this to the marketer, preventing them from promising their team and stakeholders too much.
- Maintaining and Updating the System Once It’s Built. Take, for example, a manufacturing company with a large number of heavy machinery to maintain. The subject-matter experts collaborate with data scientists to develop an AI system that gathers data from IoT sensors on the machines to predict the optimal time to do preventive maintenance on them.
To understand this better, we need to take a closer look at how the AI apps work.
- Every AI app needs training data that needs to be prepared by a human expert. E.g., we need to have a lot of data about the films and the people who watch those films to recommend a bunch of movies to a new user intelligently.
- After preparing the training data, a data scientist could use this data to train and test an algorithm. He will repeat this step until he finds a suitable algorithm to generate a model that can predict or infer as precisely as the human expert who has prepared the training data in step 1. This step could take several iterations.
- Once the algorithm which can most precisely predict, the same can be used to create a model. This model is handed over to the subject matter expert to be used for predictions or inferences.
- The SME uses this model for day to day predictions and inferences. He applies his judgment to decide if the forecasts and inferences are precise enough by comparing what the algorithm has predicted or inferred with what the SME would have done.
- If the model is not accurately inferring or predicting, the SME would override the algorithm and manually assign predicted or inferred values.
- This edited data is added as new input data, and the same is used to retrain the algorithm. This retraining will ensure better results going forward. The SME repeats steps 4 to 6 with no intervention from the data scientist. The SME would make the application more and more precise. As it becomes more precise, it will more closely mimic the expert’s inferences and predictions.
Who can be a subject matter expert?
You don’t have to be highly placed or academically well qualified. There’s nothing better than years of expertise. E.g., a security guard knows how to spot an intruder in a crowd. He can help a data scientist build an automated threat detection system.
This article was first published here.
“Synerzip team is very responsive & quick to adopt new technologies. Team naturally follows best practices, does peer reviews and delivers quality output, thus exceeding client expectations.”
“Synerzip’s agile processes & daily scrums were very valuable, made communication & time zone issues work out successfully.”
“Synerzip’s flexible and responsible team grew to be an extension to the StepOne team. Typical concerns of time zone issues did not exist with Synerzip team.”
“Synerzip worked in perfect textbook Agile fashion – releasing working demos every two weeks. Though aggressive schedules, Synerzip was able to deliver a working product in 90 days, which helped Zimbra stand by their commitment to their customers.”
“Outstanding product delivery and exceptional project management, comes from DNA of Synerzip.”
“Studer product has practically taken a 180% turn from what it was, before Synerzip came in. Synerzip cost is very reasonable as compared to the work they do.”
“Synerzip makes the timezone differences work FOR the customer, enabling a positive experience for us. ‘Seeing is believing’, so we decided to give it a shot and the project was very successful.”
“The Synerzip team seamlessly integrates with our team. We started seeing results within the first sprint. And due to the team’s responsiveness, we were able to get our product to the sales cycle within 7 months.”
“Product management team from Synerzip is exceptional and has a clear understanding of Studer’s needs. Synerzip team gives consistent performance and never misses a deadline.”
“Synerzip is different because of the quality of their leadership, efficient team and clearly set methodologies. Studer gets high level of confidence from Synerzip along with significant cost advantage of almost 50%”
“Synerzip’s hiring approach and practices are worth applauding. Working with Synerzip is like
“What you see is what you get”.”
“Synerzip has dedicated experts for every area. Synerzip helped Tangoe save a lot of cost, still giving a very high quality product.”
“Synerzip gives tremendous cost advantage in terms of hiring and growing the team to be productive verses a readymade team. Synerzip is one company that delivers “co –development” to the core!”
“Synerzip is a great company to work with. Good leadership and a warm, welcoming attitude of the team are additional plus points.”
“Our relationship with Synerzip is very collaborative, and they are our true partners as our values match with theirs.”
“Synerzip has proven to be a great software product co-development partner. It is a leader because of its great culture, its history, and its employee retention policies. ExamSoft’s clients are happy with the product, and that’s how ExamSoft measures that all is going well.”
“They possess a great technical acumen with a burning desire to solve problems. The team always takes the initiative and ownership in all the processes they follow. Synerzip has played a vital role in our scaling up and was a perfect partner in cost, efficiency, and schedules.”
“As we are a startup, things change on a weekly basis, but Synerzip team has been flexible in adapting the same”
“Synerzip team has been very proactive in building the best quality software, bringing in best practices, and cutting edge innovation for our company.”
“We’ve been working for more than six years with Synerzip and its one of the better, if not the best, experience I’ve had working with an outsourcing company.”
“My experience with Synerzip is that they have the talent. You throw a problem at them, and someone from that team helps to solve the issue.”
“The breadth and depth of technical abilities that Synerzip brings on the table and the UX work done by them for this project exceeded my expectations!”
“Synerzip UX designers very closely represent their counterparts in the US in terms of their practice, how they tackle problems, and how they evangelize the value of UX.”
“Synerzip team understood the requirements well and documented them to make sure they understood them rightly.”
“Synerzip is definitely not a typical offshore company. Synerzip team is incredibly communicative, agile, and delivers on its commitments.”
“Working with Synerzip helped us accelerate our roadmap in ways we never thought possible!”
“While working with Synerzip, I get a feeling of working with a huge community of resources, who can jump in with the skills as needed.”