What Is “Blockchain”?
The most simplified definition is – It’s a shared ledger for recording the history of transactions – that cannot be altered.
A blockchain is a ledger of records arranged in data batches called blocks that use cryptographic validation to link themselves together. Put simply, each block references and identifies the previous block by a hashing function, forming an unbroken chain, hence the name.
Blockchain was invented by Satoshi Nakamoto in October 2008.
What’s a Block
Blockchain is a chain of blocks. A block is made of 2 parts Header and Body.
The header consists of
- Previous block hash
- Current block hash
Body contains all the assets/transaction details
The first block of any blockchain is called as Genesis Block, so at any node on the chain if you start tracking back you must reach the Genesis Block.
Blockchain = Data Store
In other words, the Blockchain can also be defined as a Special Data Store with following properties:
- Contains details of transactions
- Replicated across a number of systems – almost real-time
- Usually exists over a peer-to-peer network
- Uses cryptography and digital signatures to prove identity, authenticity and enforce read/write access rights
- Can be written by certain participants
- Can be read by certain participants, maybe a wider audience, and
- Has mechanisms to make it hard to change historical records, or at least make it easy to detect when someone is trying to do so.
Why Is Blockchain Hot Now?
Key Features of Blockchain:
- Shared Ledger: Append-only distributed system of records shared across the business network
- Smart Contract: Business terms are embedded in transaction database & executed with transactions
- Privacy: Ensuring appropriate visibility; transactions are secure, authenticated and verifiable
- Trust: Transactions are endorsed by relevant participants
Blockchain is Hot because,
- Having the distributed ledger, the processing time for decision can be brought down with the help of “Smart Contracts”.
- Data stored in the blockchain is a “Single Source of Truth” and being a “Permissioned Network”, the details will be accessible only by those who have the permission.
- Today, the Blockchain is solving a major problem of distrust.
- The Blockchain is a kind of a database with built-in validations. But this database/ledger is NOT stored in a single central location and NOT managed by any particular body. Rather it is distributed and existing on multiple computers at the same time.
Therefore, the reason for blockchain to trend across multiple industries is its attributes like being distributed and replicated over multiple systems & allowing for append-only data.
Popular Blockchain Platforms Compared
| Hyperledger Fabric +|
|URL||Hyperledger Fabric, Hyperledger Composer||Ethereum|
|Governing Body||Hyperledger||Ethereum Foundation|
|Environment Setup Complexity||Medium||Medium + Continuous Running Process|
|Chaincode Framework||Native Fabric (GoLang) |
Hyperledger Composer (NodeJS)
|Solidity Truffle web3|
|Identity||Available||Accounts for each individual|
|Private Network||Available||Available (Continuously churning ethers)|
|Store Large Data||Yes||Yes (Complex)|
|Max Size of Data||No Limit||No Limit (0.02 microether per kb)|
|Store Image as a String||Yes||Yes|
|Store Video as a String||Yes||Yes|
|Transaction Quality (Data Integrity)||100%||100%|
|Quality Of Smart Contract||Depends on the “Coding”||Depends on the “Coding”|
In the context of blockchain, ‘Asset’ is a transactional or non-transactional entity. ‘Participants’ are the users who are dealing with the assets in the same network. Blockchain as a technology can have applications across various domains. Below are some prominent examples.
1. Asset Registration and Auctioning
- Government Regulator
- Use Case: A basic use case of the Asset Registration and Transfer of Ownership is, where multiple participants are on the common business network. Owner of the car can list his car along with the details on the network which can be seen by all other participants and buyer can bid for the car. The auctioneer has a choice to close this auction once a desired outcome is reached. Once the bidding is, ownership of the car will be automatically transferred to the buyer with the highest bid and at the same time buyer can get the required approvals from agencies like the insurer and the regulators.
- Faster process
- Medical Data
- Drug Chemist
- Use Case: In Healthcare, patient data is very critical and required at many levels, including the suggested drugs by the physician. Using blockchain, we can store patients’ medical records securely. Also, as blockchain is a “Permissioned” network, only relevant participants can access certain data within the medical records.
- High security
- Tamper-proof medical data
3. Supply Chain
- Any entity, e.g. Vegetables
- Government Regulators
- Use Case: In Supply Chain, asset lifecycle is the most critical piece of information. Blockchain can hold all the details of the asset at every stage of the supply chain.
This information like, when the container has been loaded by the manufacturer, what was the state of the asset at that time, etc. will be accessible by all participant on the network.
- Easy to track any losses/condition at each stage
- Recall “specific lot” rather than the entire stock
4. Audit and Compliance
- Financial Records
- Financial Systems
- Use Case: In a large organization, financial data is scattered throughout many divisions and geographies. For the audit, we require indelible records of all the transactions over the reporting period. By using blockchain, we can collect the transaction records from a diverse set of financial systems. Append-only and tamper-proof qualities create high confidence financial audit trail and privacy feature to ensure only authorized user access.
- Speed up the process
- Accountability for each transaction
5. CryptoCurrency (BitCoin)
- Use Case: BitCoin was the first application of the blockchain. BitCoin network allows the participants to transfer the bitcoins internally amongst the users. Users can only be identified by their address, which doesn’t have any relation to the real entity – the user.
- Open Governance
Blockchain Use Cases
Following image contains the blockchain use cases across the industries.
Farther-ranging blockchain applications have also seen venture backing, especially as the conversation has shifted from Bitcoin to blockchain at large. Companies like, Walmart, Unilever, Nestlé, and Dole has experimented “Food Safety” using blockchain. Identity Management and KYC is another area where blockchain is becoming very popular. Last but not the least, Supply Chain is the domain where blockchain is a perfect fit.
“Synerzip team is very responsive & quick to adopt new technologies. Team naturally follows best practices, does peer reviews and delivers quality output, thus exceeding client expectations.”
“Synerzip’s agile processes & daily scrums were very valuable, made communication & time zone issues work out successfully.”
“Synerzip’s flexible and responsible team grew to be an extension to the StepOne team. Typical concerns of time zone issues did not exist with Synerzip team.”
“Synerzip worked in perfect textbook Agile fashion – releasing working demos every two weeks. Though aggressive schedules, Synerzip was able to deliver a working product in 90 days, which helped Zimbra stand by their commitment to their customers.”
“Outstanding product delivery and exceptional project management, comes from DNA of Synerzip.”
“Studer product has practically taken a 180% turn from what it was, before Synerzip came in. Synerzip cost is very reasonable as compared to the work they do.”
“Synerzip makes the timezone differences work FOR the customer, enabling a positive experience for us. ‘Seeing is believing’, so we decided to give it a shot and the project was very successful.”
“The Synerzip team seamlessly integrates with our team. We started seeing results within the first sprint. And due to the team’s responsiveness, we were able to get our product to the sales cycle within 7 months.”
“Product management team from Synerzip is exceptional and has a clear understanding of Studer’s needs. Synerzip team gives consistent performance and never misses a deadline.”
“Synerzip is different because of the quality of their leadership, efficient team and clearly set methodologies. Studer gets high level of confidence from Synerzip along with significant cost advantage of almost 50%”
“Synerzip’s hiring approach and practices are worth applauding. Working with Synerzip is like
“What you see is what you get”.”
“Synerzip has dedicated experts for every area. Synerzip helped Tangoe save a lot of cost, still giving a very high quality product.”
“Synerzip gives tremendous cost advantage in terms of hiring and growing the team to be productive verses a readymade team. Synerzip is one company that delivers “co –development” to the core!”
“Synerzip is a great company to work with. Good leadership and a warm, welcoming attitude of the team are additional plus points.”
“Our relationship with Synerzip is very collaborative, and they are our true partners as our values match with theirs.”
“Synerzip has proven to be a great software product co-development partner. It is a leader because of its great culture, its history, and its employee retention policies. ExamSoft’s clients are happy with the product, and that’s how ExamSoft measures that all is going well.”
“They possess a great technical acumen with a burning desire to solve problems. The team always takes the initiative and ownership in all the processes they follow. Synerzip has played a vital role in our scaling up and was a perfect partner in cost, efficiency, and schedules.”
“As we are a startup, things change on a weekly basis, but Synerzip team has been flexible in adapting the same”
“Synerzip team has been very proactive in building the best quality software, bringing in best practices, and cutting edge innovation for our company.”
“We’ve been working for more than six years with Synerzip and its one of the better, if not the best, experience I’ve had working with an outsourcing company.”
“My experience with Synerzip is that they have the talent. You throw a problem at them, and someone from that team helps to solve the issue.”
“The breadth and depth of technical abilities that Synerzip brings on the table and the UX work done by them for this project exceeded my expectations!”
“Synerzip UX designers very closely represent their counterparts in the US in terms of their practice, how they tackle problems, and how they evangelize the value of UX.”
“Synerzip team understood the requirements well and documented them to make sure they understood them rightly.”
“Synerzip is definitely not a typical offshore company. Synerzip team is incredibly communicative, agile, and delivers on its commitments.”
“Working with Synerzip helped us accelerate our roadmap in ways we never thought possible!”
“While working with Synerzip, I get a feeling of working with a huge community of resources, who can jump in with the skills as needed.”